Enjoy a seasonal treat! Once you try our family eggnog, you will pass right by the commercial varieties in the grocery store!
Ingredients for Custard Base
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (preferably Swerve or Monkfruit)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Ingredients to be added to the custard just before serving
- 1 quart light cream
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped
Directions for the Custard Base
- Sift the sugar and flour together.
- Stir the sugar-flour mixture into the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Using a double boiler, with boiling water below, heat the cream.
- Slowly add 1/4 cup of the hot cream to the egg mixture, stirring vigorously. Keep adding hot cream until the eggs are warm to touch.
- Slowly add the warm egg mixture back to the hot cream in the double boiler. Stir in the vanilla. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- Cook, stirring (about 8 or 9 minutes) until it thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and cool. If there are any clumps, mix with a hand blender before cooling. (Custard base can be made a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.)
Directions for Serving
To serve, add the cream (1 quart light cream, 2 cups whipped cream) to the cooled custard. Mix well and serve.
Makes 8 servings